So many on my team are catching the fitness bug and that’s really exciting. From a group starting their own running club to my derby wife planking during breaks in her office to our sponsorship committee getting the league a great deal on gym memberships, it seems everyone is getting more active outside of regular practices!
Perhaps it has to do with the fact our training committee announced we’re going to be put through fitness testing in a couple weeks. Eep!
Time to get motivated…
I started a new regime last week. While I took it easy on myself prior to my 5k, today was the first day I did the full 3 sets of each exercise. By the end I was sweating and breathing hard and somewhat thankful the gym was deserted in the morning so no one could hear me grunt through each set.
This is going to challenge me for a while.
The trainer who designed my plan gave me permission to publish it so I’m posting for Emily Carrnage, who wanted to geek talk about it with me. This is for you, Emily!
**My trainer did mention that I’m supposed to say this program isn’t for everyone. It’s a more advanced fitness level so a beginner should not attempt this whole program without supervision or have someone to make sure they are doing it correctly.
These exercises are broken into groups of two. I perform a set of each within the group, until I have completed 3 sets of each exercise. Takes me exactly one hour! I love it so far!
Chest Fly with Leg Extension: 3 sets of 8-12
• Laying on bench, legs bent at 90degrees, while flying extend legs straight engaging core
You have to control your legs on this to keep your lower back from lifting. Tough.
Plank Walk Push up: 3 sets of 8-12
• In Bridge position push up and walk hands and feet over. Keep back straight and bum down.
Walking across the floor, doing a push up after each 'step'. This guy looks like he's having a lot of fun.
Body Row: 3 sets of 8-12
• Using Smith Machine, hands shoulder width apart, keep back straight, pull chest to bar.
Not gunna lie, I feel badass doing this one .
Plank Jacks: 3 sets 30 – 45s
• In plank position perform jacks with your feet back and forth
She's having lots of fun too. Can you see?
Bulgarian with Bicep Curl – Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8-12
• Alternate leg – 1 leg on bench, squat down, hold while performing bicep curl – stand up while preforming shoulder press
This movement with an added bicep curl and shoulder press. Ow
High Knees with alternate Shoulder Press: 3 sets 30-45s
• Weights at shoulders, perform high knees while pressing up alternating arms
This movement mixed with high knees makes me want to die.
Squat with 1 arm Cable Row: 3 sets of 8-12
• Using Cable machine – 1 arm row in to a squat – all one movement. Keep Core tight and knees behind toes. Repeat on each side.
I enjoy this one because it a machine. Machines are fun (but don't sound as awesome as 'Bosu')
Bosu Burpees (FSU): 3 sets 30 – 45s
• Start in plank postion, jump feet in, stand up press Bosu over head & repeat
OMG burpees. But Bosu burpees aren't too terrible.
Bosu Squat & Tricep Kick Back (FSU): 3 sets of 8-12
• Standing on flat side. Weights at side, squat down, hold squat, kick back & repeat
I look like an idiot getting on this thing. Lol
Bosu Mtn Climbers: 3 sets 30 – 45s
• Bosu – Flat side up. Hold on to each side and alternate knees to chest (running motion)
I pretend I'm doing cardio in case of a zombie attack when I do this one
Bosu Ladder Plank (RSU) : 3 sets 30-45s
• Maintaining proper plank form lift yourself one arm at a time to your hands – hold for a 2 count (do not swivle hips – keep them pointed to ground)
• Lower yourself down onto left elbow, then right elbow. Back to starting postion & Repeat
These are worse than burpees and make me want to die!
Bosu Plank with Alternate Knees (FSU) : 3 sets 30-45s
• In plank position (bum down, back straight, ) altnernate knees to chest while keeping bum down
By this point I'm spent and very very smelly.
What I hope to get out of this
- More strength in my upper body
- Stronger core
- Increased and stronger ‘energy bursts’
I’m not going to lie, I’m going to miss my long treadmill warmups (I’ve gone from 20 minutes to 5 minutes to keep the workout within an hour) and the machine strength training I did on my legs (I was using the squat, hamstring and seated leg press). But I hope this will balance my body a bit because my lower body is more powerful than my upper and I want to keep them even-steven as possible!
Four months to go on my year-long fitness goal setting! BRING IT!